This statement explains how the School (“we” and “our”) handles and uses the personal data we collect about our alumni and our past, current and future supporters, whether donors, volunteers or participants in membership groups that we run (“you” and “your”). “The School” in this context means Magdalen College School Brackley Academy Trust and subsidiary businesses. Developing a better understanding of our alumni and supporters allows us to keep in touch with you, in order to keep you apprised of our activities and developments, to provide services to you, and to identify ways in which you can support us, through donations or other forms of financial and non-financial support.
We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold. The following statement sets out how the School specifically uses your personal data for fundraising and alumni relations purposes.
Personal data held by the School
We may hold information relating to you from a number of sources. A significant proportion of the information we hold on alumni is that which you provide to us (for example, you may give us information by filling in forms on the School's website, or by corresponding with us by telephone, email or otherwise). If you are a student or studied at Magdalen, some of your personal data is transferred from your student record to the School’s alumni database.
Most records contain:
- your contact details (and we update these whenever you let us know that they have changed)
- your attendance at School events
- personal data provided by you for a specific purposes (e.g. disability and dietary preferences for event management purposes)
- your communication preferences, to help us provide tailored and relevant communications
We also record, where applicable, based on information which you provide to us:
- your career highlights and other life achievements
- information about your areas of interest and extra-curricular activities
Your data is used by us for a number of interdependent purposes in support of alumni relations, supporter communications and fundraising.
- sending you publications (e.g. alumni newsletters and updates about the School)
- conducting surveys, including research on when and whether particular donations or funding appeals may be of interest to you
- providing services, including access to School facilities and alumni email accounts
- sending you details of volunteering opportunities
- inviting you to alumni and other School events
- internal record keeping, including the management of any feedback or complaints
- administrative purposes (e.g. in order to process a donation you have made or to administer an event you have registered for or attended)
Before seeking or accepting major donations we are required to conduct due diligence, including reviewing publicly available personal data relating to the donor's criminal convictions and offences.
Communications to you may be sent by post, telephone or electronic means (principally by email), depending on the contact details we hold and the preferences expressed by you about the types of communications you wish to receive.
If you have concerns or queries about any of these purposes, or how we communicate with you, please contact us using the details listed below.
We will always respect a request by you to stop processing your personal data, and in addition your statutory rights are set out below.
How we protect your data
We do not sell or share your personal data with third parties under any circumstances.
We facilitate communication between individual alumni, but in doing so we do not release personal contact details without prior permission.
You have the right to:
- ask us for access to, or rectification or erasure of your data
- lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
We will retain your data indefinitely in support of your lifelong relationship with the School or until you request us to do otherwise. We will publish on our website any changes we make to this data protection statement and notify you by other communication channels where appropriate.
Where you exercise your right to erasure, we will continue to maintain a core set of personal data (name email address and date of birth) to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in future. We may also need to retain some financial records about you for statutory purposes (e.g. Gift Aid, anti-fraud and accounting matters).